June 5, 2020 – Letter from the Eldership
22 March, 2020 – Letter displayed at our facility
20 March, 2020 – Facebook Video for our Community
19 March, 2020 – Letter to Church Membership
As we are all aware, we are living in an unprecedented period in our lifetimes with Covid-19.
This morning I spoke with the other members of the Spiritual Leadership Team – Alan, Em & Libby and we believe the best course of action at this point in time is to temporarily suspend all activities that operate from our facility – this includes services, ministries, small groups & community group meetings.
There are a number of reasons for our decision:
- Our first responsibility as church leaders is to love God, but a very close second is to love people, especially those people God has entrusted us to lead. The best way we can do this is to do what we can to ensure our people are safe and healthy. As so many people frequent our building on any given week, we cannot guarantee it is safe and virus-free. We do not have the resources to do a facility-wide disinfection after each group of people meet.
- Our church has never been about a gathering event at a specific location. We are the church! Whether we’re meeting together, or are representing Christ wherever we find ourselves, we are the church. Together or apart, we are the church!
- We have at our fingertips the technology to actively engage and connect with people. Of course, it will not be the same as being in the room together! But we can worship, share, encourage and pray with and for each other all the while ensuring nothing sinister is transmitted between us.
We understand this news may be disheartening and/or disappointing for some people but please know this is not a decision the leadership team has taken lightly. We have been praying for wisdom and asking God what the best decision is going forward and together we believe this is the right course of action (that is not to condemn other churches or services who remain open).
Please utilise the following platforms to stay connected. Do not hesitate to reach out if myself or other members of the team can be of any assistance. If we are unavailable, please leave a message and we will respond when we can.
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/mayfieldcofc
- Our church app: https://churchme.app/ (install app and search for Mayfield Church of Christ)
- Church webpage: www.mayfieldcofc.org.au
Finally, please know that this decision is not based in fear. We serve an almighty, all-powerful God who is with us, for us and can protect us from anything – even Covid-19! But, God has also given us minds to think rationally about situations. Hearts to hear from Him. Courage to act, to make what sometimes are challenging decisions. We believe more than ever, we’re summoned by God right now to be the church. There is no time like the present, people are crying out!
We encourage you, we encourage ourselves, let’s be the church together even when we’re apart.
Stay tuned for updates regarding things going forward on the platforms mentioned above and also email/sms. We hope to get creative with spurring one another on!! Thank you for your understanding.
Tim on behalf of the Spiritual Leadership Team (SLT) – Alan, Em & Libby.